Friday, June 29, 2007

What's the worst that can happen....

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Everyone makes mistakes, has cooking disasters, and is intimidated by something in the kitchen. (Even those of us who have been to cooking school.) Pastry- no problem. Fish- no worries. Shellfish..... I get nervous. Not because I don't eat it frequently (it's always on my menus), but because I'm constantly afraid I'll overcook it. Too many times, I haven't cleaned the clams thoroughly enough and end up with a bowl of sand, or I overcook those delicate pieces of squid to the point where they are tennis shoe quality rubber. It's frustrating, and intimidating. But the other day, I was craving mussels to go with the lovely Abacela Rosé we just got at the store. I was bound and determined to make a perfect steamed platter of mussels. Because she always has a good answer (and is both knowledgeable and patient with me), I asked Cheryl for some advice. Of course, she knew what to do. She gave me some pointers, showed me again how to clean them properly, and sent me on my way.

Once I started cleaning them, it wasn't so hard. I reminded myself of what I'd learned reading James Beard, and what Cheryl had told me, and the recipe went find. I felt so comfortable that I even made a few of my own additions. The finished product was delicious- fragrant, redolent of garlic, with a silky butter finish. Mmmmmm….

So remember- don't let intimidating ingredients/recipes/menus stop you from trying something new. The worst possible scenario? You have to start over or order a pizza. But no matter what, you'll learn something.

-Josie

Simply Steamed Mussels

No comments: