Monday, June 4, 2007

Just like Winnie the Pooh

As a child, I was fascinated by bees. My neighbor had a beehive that he would collect honey from. I would watch it cautiously (from a substantial distance), mesmerized by the rhythmic buzzing. This spring, my allergies have caused me to develop a bit of a cough, but I've found that drinking tea with honey and lemon solves the problem. The husband of my friend Nancy (who happens to be a wonderful chef here at In Good Taste) sells honey from his beehives. I bought a huge gar from him. At first glance, it seemed like the jar would last forever. But there's nothing like local honey- its sweet, smooth, slightly floral, and has a color like spun gold. I shared a bit with some of my friends, had a spoonful here and there in my tea, on toast, in sauces and vinaigrette...... (just as is...). There's only a tiny bit left. I'm hoarding it until I can replenish my stash. Each honey tastes slightly different. Nancy's husband's honey is not too sweet (so I can eat more of it.) When I can't get Nancy's honey, or for a bit of variety, I like Queener Fruit Farm Honey (which we carry here at In Good Taste). It is pure, uncooked honey, from Scio, Oregon.
-Josie

No comments: