Friday, June 1, 2007

For the Love of Shopping (for food)

As per usual, I went to the grocery store last evening. I go most days, partly because I'm terrible at planning ahead, but also because I love to shop for food. I like looking for interesting products, things I need, things I don't. I get ideas, learn new things..... it's like a miniature education. Most of the time, I come away with more than I planned to, but it always gets used eventually.
I rarely talk to other customers, being too engrossed in my own culinary fantasies. When I can, I do chat with the butcher, the fish guy, the baker, the cheese monger etc.
Yesterday, I was perusing the spice aisle, purposely selecting a variety of ingredients for my evening's experiment. Randomly, a man stopped me with a hesitant, "excuse me...?" I turned. I must have looked like I belonged there, because he continued; "Will you please help me find granulated mustard?" Granulated mustard? Why don't I know what that is? It occurred to me he must be following some obscure recipe; I could sense his growing stress and see the furrows in his brow. I pointed to the powdered dry mustard (assuming that's what he meant). He looked more confused. "What about pepper sauce?" I took him to the condiment aisle and showed him the many varieties of hot sauce. He seemed more confused. Finally, I asked him what he was making, hoping I could offer some "sage" advice. He handed me a crumpled recipe for Texas Barbecue Sauce, and asked me to help him find the remaining ingredients. I was so pleased and amused that he was making his own sauce (with that much stress involved, I was surprised he hadn't just grabbed a bottle off the shelf), that I agreed to help right away. (Of course, I was flattered too!) We finished the shopping list and I offered some tips for making and using barbecue sauce (don't add it until the end!). Gratefully, he thanked me, and asked if I had worked there long. I laughed, "No, I just love to shop."
I was so inspired by his dedication that particular recipe that I made my own barbecue sauce- a not quite traditional New Orleans- style, similar to one I used to get at a restaurant in the Garden District.
-Josie

Josie's Nawlin's Style Barbecue Shrimp

No comments: