Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Daughter of a Fisherman

My father is many things; brilliant, generous, kind, ethical, respected, influential…
of all the people that have influenced my life, perhaps my father has left the biggest impression. I've always looked up to him, admired and adored him, and now that I am older, we are becoming friends as well as father and daughter.

Some of my fondest memories with my dad are (ironically), of fishing. His passion for fishing supersedes his passion for all other hobbies. Although I don’t particularly love to fish, I do love to eat the rewards, and I love to be with my dad. As a kid, I was a part of most of the (weekly) fishing trips on the ocean or the river. He taught me how to fish, from baiting the hook to casting a spin real to the art of casting a fly rod. I wouldn't say that I’m an accomplished fisherman, but I can hold my own on a boat when necessary. My role most of the time was to wield the net while he pulled in the prize catch. Once the fish was in the boat, we’d measure them, to ensure that the fish were legal, ice them down, and head in to the marina. The next lesson in the world of fishing was how to clean the fish. My dad does keep his catch (as opposed to throwing it back) but he is extremely respectful of the fish. I learned a deep reverence for the earth and ocean from him. To put it simply, if you kill it, you must clean and eat it with respect, deference and purpose. I think that catching, cleaning and cooking the fish myself, from a young age, also showed me the connection between the earth and my food. I understood where the food came from, and that I was lucky to have it.
I wish there was more time to fish with him now. Even when we can’t catch the fish together, we still share the catch. My dad is an excellent cook, especially of seafood. His preparation tends to be much more simple than mine (he’s not one to create elaborate sauces, foams or emulsions), but he still listens politely as I give my suggestions. Despite his preference for minimal additions to high quality fish, he has an adventuresome palate and is willing to try most of the things I make. Although we won’t be together this Sunday, I’m going to make Pina Colada Halibut with Pineapple Salsa. I'll serve it with coconut jasmine rice and a crisp Sauvignon Blanc like Mulderbosch, from South Africa.

-Josie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodie, your story is such a sweet addition to a delicious recipe. Its charming and endering, I feel like I am in the kitchen with you. I work with Bon Appetit, and we have a sweepstakes where you can win a trip to NYC and dine one on one with the editors and tour the sets of the Food Network shows. You should definitely enter, It would be a fantastic opprotunity for a food such as yourself. Heres the link http://condenast.eprize.net/bonappetit/index.tbapp?affiliate_id=1i . I'm looking forward to your next blog!

Anonymous said...

hello, I love this idea!