Thursday, June 7, 2007

An Evening in Morocco

I love “theme” nights- transforming an evening and meal into a true adventure. Sometimes it works out better than others, but it’s always interesting and fun. I recently sampled lovely Moroccan mustard from Dulcet cuisine that we carry here at the store. The flavor profile is complex- deep undercurrents of curry and cumin. I created recipes and a menu to showcase the mustard. To extend the theme, I set the table with small votive candles, played Moroccan music in the background, and arranged vases with brightly colored flowers around the room. While I cooked, my guests nibbled on fried almonds and marinated olives with orange zest and red peppers.
My menu was simple, flavorful and delicious (based on the happy sounds emanating from them, my guests agreed with my opinion). The dessert was a little intense, but it’s hard to say no to chocolate.

To Drink- A rose like Penner Ash- the sweet finish stands up to spicy flavors

Salad of Arugula, Oranges and Avocado with Honey-Citrus Vinaigrette

Chicken with Moroccan Mustard

Couscous with cinnamon and dried fruit

Chilled Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Strawberry Coulis

To try the chicken recipe, click here. Chicken with Moroccan Mustard

A few suggestions for the chicken recipe:
-If you’d like a smoother sauce, strain it before you serve it. It’s not necessary, but it does give a better presentation.
-You can marinate the chicken in the mustard up to an hour before, for a more intense flavor
-Use a hotel pan or a baking sheet if you don’t have a large glass baking dish
-You can also use a whole chicken, broken down into eight serving pieces. Double the mustard and sauce quantities, and cook the chicken longer, about an hour.

-Josie

No comments: