Monday, July 2, 2007

Eat Local, Eat Well

Lately, I’ve had no problem sticking to the “eat local challenge.” It’s so easy, it’s almost hard. In fact, the most difficult part of grocery shopping lately is trying not to buy too much. There’s so much wonderful produce to choose from! Going to the farmer’s market is almost overwhelming; there are mounds of scarlet colored cherries, baskets of multicolored heirloom tomatoes, bright green snap peas, sweet onions, luscious plums, and juicy berries. Everything in the market is flavorful on its own, and hardly needs anything to transform it into a delicious meal. One of my favorite summer meals showcases all of the delightful goodies that I bought. It’s the perfect end for a day of shopping at the farmers market. I assemble a salad sliced tomatoes, shredded basil and crumbled goat cheese, all drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. I finish it with fleur de sel. Then, I serve grilled burgers with smoked bacon and grilled sweet onion, and for dessert, simple shortcake with fresh berries and lots of whipped cream. If only summer would last forever…
-Josie

No comments: