Monday, June 18, 2007

Following the Food TV Star Search

I have a confession- I watch reality food TV. It's ironic, because I rarely watch TV anyway, and I never watch reality TV. But with the first season of Top Chef, I was hooked. Suddenly, I found myself planning my week around the Wednesday night episode. When the season ended, I was a bit saddened. What would I do with all that extra time? (Easy- cook!) My chef friends got into the show too, and we would have weekly Top Chef Challenges. Whatever the challenge of the week was, we would repeat it, have a cook off, and then eat.
It's not convenient to watch Top Chef this season, but I've started watching the Next Food Network Star instead. For personal entertainment, I'm going to cook along with the show. The first night challenge was a super easy grilling recipe, that explained the contestant's culinary point of view. I created the Grilled Halibut with Watermelon Salsa and Cyprus Black Sea Salt. I think that it shows my culinary point of view because I like to use local, organic and sustainable products whenever possible, highlight the unique qualities of each ingredient, and add a little bit of an unusual twist. Stay tuned for my response to next week's challenge!
-Josie

No comments: