Monday, October 6, 2008

Ways to Escape the Rain

It was raining when I woke up yesterday. (And when I went to bed). All I wanted to do was curl up inside. But, as a native Oregonian, I know I'll adjust (but boy, the first couple of weeks are hard!) One thing that always helps take the chill off is a warm and hearty meal. There's nothing like sitting down to a steaming bowl of beef stew, or a tasty pot roast on a cold, rainy day. I was lucky enough to enjoy Molly Steven's class on braising yesterday. Just in time for the coming of the fall season, her cozy menu included Osso Buco alla Milanese, Butternut Mashed Potatoes
Lemon-Roasted Green Beans with Marcona Almonds, and a Dark Chocolate Tart with Gingersnap Crust. Really, it was so good, we didn't notice the weather.

Inspired by Molly, I'm making a braised pork shoulder for dinner tonight. By the time it has cooked for 6 hours, it will be fork tender and falling off the bone. It is filling the house with delicious aromas as I write.

For more ideas to help you adjust to the change in weather, try some of our warming upcoming classes. Barb Randall will be teaching a Hands on Hearty Feast at our Lake Oswego location on October 11, featuring Oregon Black Cod Bundles, Warm Grilled Fennel, Broccoli Custard, and Baked Stuffed Hood River Pears. Or, come to our Hands on Tuscan Feast on October 13th, when you'll savor a tasty White bean soup, Stuffed Pork Roulade, White Truffle Potato Puree, and a Citrus Olive Cake.



I'm definitely ready for dinner now! Happy Eating!

-Josie

No comments: