Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Forgotten Grains

Great articles in the NYT Dining section last week. There was a front page article on new cookbooks and the development of, including a reference to David Tanis’ new book, A Platter of Figs, and David’s simply stunning recipe for Steamed Fennel with Pepper Oil. (David, by the way, will be here today for a book signing and cooking demonstration- and I’m very excited to meet him. Also, I am very much looking forward to a taste of the demonstration of Double Roasted Duck Breasts with Aged Balsamic...)
The other interesting article was by Mark Bittman, on Kasha. Kasha, the slightly uninteresting, obscure Eastern grain made from toasted hulled buckwheat, is not particularly versatile. At least I haven’t fallen for it yet. Perhaps someday. Of course, not everyone agrees with Mark Bittman; the comments on his recipe ranged from adamant professions of love to traditional affection for the grain.
Regardless of my opinion of kasha, the article reminded me of another forgotten grain (one that I really do like) - farro. Faro has gained popularity in the last few years, finding its way onto trendy menus in San Francisco, Seattle and beyond. (For example, Elizabeth Faulkner’s restaurant Orson features a side dish of farro, grilled peach, crescenza, and scallion). Even though it has found its way onto popular menus, it still isn’t available in the average grocery store. I discovered it while I was in Italy several years ago. I was pleased to find it at In Good Taste. I took a bag of it home and started to experiment. I’ve found that it takes a while to cook, and like other grains and beans, benefits from soaking before cooking.
So, now that you know where to find it, what do you do with it? It can be used similarly to barley or even rice, as in this earthy version of risotto. This goes well with roast pork or veal.
Happy Eating!
-Josie

Farro Risotto with Sage

No comments: