Thursday, October 30, 2008

Vegetarian Revelry

I rarely prepare vegetarian meals. I have nothing against them, I just really like meat. I’ve often said life without pork is not worth living. All of my own sentiments aside, vegetarian food can be quite good, if you have good ingredients, techniques, and a little bit of know-how. Even if you’re not a vegetarian, it’s good to know how to make vegetarian food. For example, a couple of years ago, I hosted Thanksgiving for a group of friends. The (unplanned) arrival of the vegetarian girlfriend of one of my friends caused quite the awkward meal. Had I known she was coming, I might have been able to make at least one thing she could eat. As it was, nothing on the table was vegetarian. Really. There was the turkey, of course, gravy, and the andouille stuffing, then creamy mashed potatoes (made with chicken stock), and braised green beans with sautéed mushrooms and a light demi -glace. My “sous” chef made luscious bacon studded cornbread (served warm and topped with sage butter…. Wow). Even dessert, which we’d normally assume to be vegetarian friendly, was a sky-high pumpkin chiffon pie (made with gelatin). So. She pouted, and was angry, and I was embarrassed, and the whole even was uncomfortable.
The holidays especially can be difficult for vegetarians, filled with roasts and other traditional meat dishes. This year, you can dine guilt-free and enjoy this buffet of delicious vegetarian dishes inspired by the cuisines of the countries on the Mediterranean! This menu is designed to tempt both vegetarians and omnivores of all ages. You will take the best of local produce and add a few exotic touches to create dishes you will make over and over, not just for special occasions. In this hands-on class, Maya Klein will guide you through a multitude of techniques, including preparing vegetarian “meatballs”, making pizza dough, cooking pilaf, grilling tofu, roasting vegetables, and preparing a layer cake. Your vegetarian friends will thank you.
The class will be held on Sunday, November 2, at 2:00 PM.

Happy Eating (for everyone)!
-Josie

No comments: