Friday, October 17, 2008

Nothing like NY

No matter how much alike we are, there are real differences between people from the West Coast and East Coast. The accent, for one thing, is noticeable. But of course, I look at food before anything else. There are very different attitudes towards food between the two. East Coasters are crazy about delis. I can say this because I’ve witnessed it. My dear friend Sue is from the East Coast and introduced me to true New York deli food. While we were living in California, she would order legitimate NY deli food to be overnighted to her. Bags of New York style bagels, boxes of sliced meats and cheeses would arrive on the doorstep, packed in ice. It was like Christmas year around. I miss her (and I miss having all that yummy food around). While I do not fully understand the deli meat fetish, I do understand general food biases and obsessions. Such as my unwavering loyalty to Dungeness crabs (I’ve been eating and catching them myself my whole life). I love fresh Dungeness crab, and feel strongly that it is the only crab for crab cakes, (but it is just one of the requirements for perfect crab cakes- which is another post entirely).

Since she moved back to the East Coast, she has been able to satisfy her East Coast cravings without the assistance of FedEx.

If you too, are stranded on the West Coast, without access to great New York style bagels, find a solution at Michael Zusman's New York Style Bagel Class on Sunday, October 19. You'll learn how to make the quintessential East Coast bagel, including variations on the plain version like pumpernickel and poppy seed. After you've learned the secrets to spectacular bagels, you can feast on a bagel spread complete with lox, cream cheese, and all the other bagel fixings you desire. After that, you can start your own mini bagel factory in your kitchen, and feel like you're back home on the East Coast. The feast begins at 1:00 pm.
-Josie

No comments: