Thursday, October 16, 2008

Terriffic Tarragon




I recently rediscovered tarragon. It’s a quintessential ingredient in fines herbes, goes well with chicken and egg dishes, and it makes béarnaise sauce, béarnaise sauce. But for whatever reason, I’d stopped cooking with it. I hadn’t made a béarnaise in ages, and just about forgotten about fines herbes altogether. Then I saw some beautiful fresh tarragon at the market last weekend. Something prompted to buy it, which ended up being the beginning of my renewed love of the herb. I find myself using it more than ever before.
Tarragon is a perennial herb. It is somewhat related to sage and mugwort. The leaves are dark green, long and slender, with an aromatic, licorice/anise smell. The taste is a bit bittersweet and herbaceous.
It complements mushrooms, chicken, peas, spinach, greens, zucchini, corn, potatoes, eggs, and pasta. It makes an excellent addition to salads, in vinaigrette or just mixed with the greens. I’ve used the vinaigrette for grilled fish, as a marinade for chicken, and as a dressing for potato salad too- it’s amazingly versatile.


Happy Cooking!-Josie


Quick Tarragon Vinaigrette
In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar with ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper. Whisk in 1/ 2 cup olive oil. Stir in 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves. It goes beautifully with butter lettuce and radishes, or with steamed new potatoes.

No comments: