Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Return to Roots, Rhubarb and Perfect Pie

I recently returned to Portland after several years of working and eating around the world. I’ve had the good fortune of living in cities known for their food (New Orleans and Florence to name a few). Although there are parts of the other cities that I miss, it’s nice to be back in Portland. Our city has so much to offer in the way of food. The city is so in line with my own values; local, sustainable, organic. I love how easy (and delicious) it is “eating local.” Everywhere I go, I find beautiful food, made by artisans or produced by local farmers. The weekday farmers markets are about to open, giving food lovers the chance to shop for edibles almost daily. (I can’t wait! Most recently at the market, I found baby artichokes, baby carrots and radishes. Rhubarb is also in season, and can offer so much more than just a filling for pie. If you’re looking for a quick, seasonal dessert that has maximum flavor, try a crumble. It’s like a crisp, but has oats in the topping for added texture. Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream for serving! The ice cream will melt into a semi sauce that makes this a perfect end to a spring meal. But, if nothing will be as satisfying as a rhubarb pie, learn perfect pie technique from Tim Helea of the Pearl Bakery. Tim will be here tonight to give tips and techniques for flaky pastry that is irresistible.
-Josie

Link to Josie's rhubarb crumble

No comments: