Tuesday, May 29, 2007

All About Grilling

Memorial Day seems to be the official opening of Grilling Season. Everyone I know had something on the grill this weekend, whether is was steaks, burgers, chickenor bratwurst. As much as I like grilling, I don't seem to do very much of it (mostly because I don't have my own grill at the moment) and because there's always a grilling "expert" around that does it for me. But, I've learned enough through watching or doing to offer a few suggestions for better barbecue.
-Make sure to clean the grill with a wire brush before you start
-Use tongs instead of a meat fork- when you pierce the meat, you lose those precious juices
-Add the sauces at the end of cooking time- adding barbecue sauce too early causes it to burn, which is not very tasty
-If you're unsure about doneness, use a meat thermometer, and don't forget that meat will continue to cook after you take it off the heat (that means if you want it to be 150 degrees F, pull it from the heat when it's 145 F)
-Let the meat rest for about five minutes before you cut into it to let the juices settle and redistribute
-Try new flavors and combinations, including types of burgers, condiments and breads
I like all burgers- lamb burgers in pitas with tatziki sauce, chicken burgers with chipotle aioli and sliced avocado, and of course, the classic burger. Last weekend, I made a version of the All American BLT Burger. I started by seasoning the hamburger with Worcestershire sauce and minced onion. I grilled it over medium high heat, and just as it finished cooking, I grilled thick wedges of sourdough bread. I added some chopped chives to a little bit of mayonnaise, assembled the burgers; bread, mayo, crisp romaine lettuce, thick, juicy tomatoes, cooked artisan smoked bacon, the burger patty, and the top piece of bread. The weight of the burger held the bacon and vegetables in place, so that it wasn't such a challenge to eat. Mmmmmmm.....
-Josie

No comments: