Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Almost Pad Thai from the Pantry

You've heard it a million times- a well stocked pantry is the key to creating flavorful, enticing meals at home. With a couple of basic staples, some interesting items, condiments, and international ingredients, you can put together just about any dish you can imagine. Obviously, pasta is a great (and fairly economical) choice for quick cook meals. Pasta is filling, elegant, and comforting all at the same time. It can range from classic Italian to Thai to Chinese to American- or even a medley. Use your imagination and what's on hand. Just boil water, get a fork, and prepare to feast..... (Don't forget to pour a glass of wine- the 2005 Anne Amie Riesling from the Willamette Valley would go particularly well. )
Last night, for example, I was in the mood for Thai food. I arrived home late (as per usual) in a hungry/tired/frazzled state. After working with food all day, the last thing I wanted to do was spend hours preparing something elaborate for just me. I did a quick survey of my pantry and refrigerator: some cilantro, scallions, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar and angel hair pasta. I even found some coconut milk leftover from a previous cooking experiment. Then the wheels started turning.....I was envisioning a version of pad Thai (one of my favorites). Making do with what I had, I made a quick pan sauce with the coconut milk, soy sauce, curry paste and chili paste. Once I boiled the noodles, it was just a matter of tossing it all together. I was so pleased at how simple, quick and fun it had been to make! Now if only cleaning up was as easy and fun. :-)
-Josie

Not Quite Pad Thai Noodles

No comments: