Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mother's Day

Mother’s day is a day reserved for thanking our mothers and grandmothers. Variations on the holiday are celebrated around the world. While I am grateful for my mother every day, it’s nice to do something “extra” to show her that I care. While thinking about the upcoming holiday this year, I reminisced fondly about all my has mother taught me.
My first cooking experiences happened at my mother’s feet, playing with pans and spoons as she prepared dinner. We baked cookies together for Christmas, made strawberry jam after picking berries in July, and cooked pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for all that she taught me, including a love for the kitchen. I found a hobby, a passion and a career because of her.
Once I began cooking full time, my mom allowed me full reign in the kitchen. (I gleefully accepted). A few recipes however, continued to be her specialties. No matter how hard I try, my mother still makes a better pie. My father soundly agrees that my mother’s pie crust is flawless- flaky, delicate and light. She would make Quiche Lorraine for me, with its smooth, flavorful filling and crispy crust. I’ve adapted her recipe to include red bell pepper, for a bit of color, and replaced the bacon with goat cheese for a tangy twist. This recipe is perfect for brunch, lunch or tea. It can be served warm or at room temperature, accompanied by just a fruit salad and coffee. Or, for a more elaborate repast, serve smoky bacon, berry parfaits and mimosas.
-Josie

Josie's Red Bell Pepper and Goat Cheese Quiche

No comments: