Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Spring Desserts

Spring desserts….. lemon always seems to fit the menu. Berries signal summer, pears suggest fall, and cranberries are a sign of winter. Lemon desserts are bright and tangy, and take advantage of the season’s best citrus. Every year around Easter, my grandmother makes her famous Coconut Cake with Fluffy White Frosting and Lemon Cheese Filling. It’s a tradition in the family that we all look forward to. As much as I love her cake, I was looking for something a little bit different and wanted to start my own edible Easter traditions. I knew I wanted to stay with the lemon flavor, but didn’t want to make the 7 minute frosting with coconut. In the end, I made a luscious lemon cake with a tangy and sweet glaze that was just enough, without being overpowering. I started with her basic yellow cake recipe, and added lemon juice. Instead of the lemon cheese filling and coconut frosting, I filled the cake with pillowy whipped cream. I used a simple powdered sugar glaze that added a bit of crispness once it dried. As soon as I bit into the crunchy glaze, it melted in my mouth and gave way to the pleasant lemony flavor.

Recipe - Luscious Lemon Layer Cake

-Josie

No comments: