Sunday, July 20, 2008

Picnic Paninis


After playing the garden this morning, I was ready for a quick lunch that would require very little effort. Preferably one I could eat on the deck. Going through a garden “inventory” yielded a bunch of fresh herbs, some small tomatoes, and some endive.

Since there was fresh mozzarella in the refrigerator ( a staple I’m never without), olive oil in the cupboard and good bread on the counter, I was set to make my favorite version of a grilled cheese; it’s like a caprese salad in sandwich form. The best part is that I had an excuse to fire up my new kitchen toy- a non-stick panini press from Le Creuset. It’s really easy to clean, versatile, and doesn’t require me to stand on the deck at the grill just for a simple lunch.

You can vary the ingredients to whatever you have on hand. As my friend would say, “paninis are a wonderful way to express your inner sandwich artist”. I layer bread with pieces of tomato (roasted peppers work well too), various sliced cheeses, ribbons of basil or other herbs, a sprinkle of fleur de sel and a drizzle of olive oil. That’s about all it takes (and it’s very portable and picnic- worthy). A nice salad of endive with olive oil and lemon juice made a great accompaniment. I just needed some iced tea and I had a perfect picnic to enjoy on the deck!
-Josie

No comments: