Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July


Even though it isn’t accompanied by presents and a cake, the 4th of July was always my favorite holiday when I was growing up. I loved the fireworks and energy, and I felt grown-up staying up so late. Now, I look forward to the 4th of July just as much, but for different reasons; I like to be outside, enjoying the weather and my friends, and I like the food that comes with summer barbecues.

This year, we’re going to be “fancy.” To start, there will be grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, made with bacon that I cured and smoked myself. Then, a simple, colorful, crunchy salad with crisp romaine lettuce, creamy blue cheese dressing, sliced tomatoes, and red onions. For our main course, local beef and Tillamook cheese will form the classic cheeseburger, but a topping of caramelized Walla Walla onions will steal the show. Finally, hand-made Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches for dessert. (That’s what I’m really looking forward to!).

Enjoy, and have a happy 4th of July!
-Josie

Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches

No comments: