Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trebol



It’s always a privilege to have a guest chef teach at In Good Taste. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to ask Kenny Hill, chef and owner of Trebol Restaurant, a few questions after the class. He was so fun and easy to talk to that it seemed more like a friendly conversation than an interview.


What do you cook at home?
Everything really, but I particularly like Sushi, Mexican, Italian, and the grill! I love to grill- I spend a lot of time honing recipes for the restaurant
What’s your favorite comfort food?
Maybe a hearty stew, or some great thai food-it’s best when it’s really hot and spicy
Where do you find daily inspiration?
I like to bounce ideas off of my wife. She’s not a chef, but she’s good to interact with in the kitchen because she’s honest, and can help me by giving feedback. She’s great as a taster! We learn from each other.
I also get ideas when I commute to work by bike; as I’m going through various neighborhoods, and seeing the seasonal changes, I get new perspectives.
What was your most recent kitchen purchase?
Some nice new Sauté pans – I like All Clad
What’s the #1 kitchen tip/lesson you could share with home cooks?
Work fast, neat ,and safe!
When did you know you wanted to be a chef?
I guess it started with childhood experiences in my grandmother’s Mexican kitchen. Then I went off to college to be a psychologist and it changed. While I was there, I read about a chef that i admired, went to interview him, and he offered me a job. After that, it all came together.
Favorite restaurant (other than your own)?
Nuestra cocina. I don’t have a favorite dish, there are so many to choose from- and everything is good
What would you eat as your “last meal”?
Lobster tacos with smoky corn salsa and heirloom tomato salad and stinky cheese- with chocolate pot de crème for dessert
What’s your least favorite food trend?
Epicurean style- pretty but not tasty – food that focuses more on appearance than taste
What great person would you like to have dinner with? (or cook for?)
Diana Kennedy- she has been an inspiration and I think she could give me great feedback
If I didn't have enough reasons to go Trebol already (great food, wonderful atmosphere, rave reviews), now I can add "charismatic and awesome chef" to the list. Trebol is definitely on my "to do" list.
-Josie

No comments: