Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cookbooks Worth Reading

Any time a new cookbook comes into the store, I’m immediately distracted from my work. The length of time that I’m distracted depends on the complexity of the book. Single subject books, therefore, usually take up just a few minutes to look through. Recently however, a single subject book not only caught my eye, it made me drop everything. Even though I’ve written about them to excess, I still obsess about tomatoes. A new cookbook, Tomatoes, by Manisha Harkins captures one of my favorite fruits (yes, tomatoes are a fruit) and brings it to life in new recipes, old classics and vivid photos. Just looking at the picture for the Rustic Chicken Panini with Sicilian Pesto made my mouth water. Another single subject cookbook that I completely underestimated is Tom Douglas’ I love Crabcakes. So do I actually, and (wrongly) assumed I had figured out what I needed to know. The tiny book is filled with great information, new ideas and creative variations. Even though for me, crab is never boring, it sometimes craves innovation. Last weekend, rather than making crab cakes again, I made a Lump crab with Lemon and Fresh Linguine. It was light, zesty and a welcome change. No matter what you’re cooking this week, open up a single-subject cookbook- you might be surprised.

-Josie

No comments: