Friday, August 15, 2008

Loving the Locavore Life

"Locavore" was the buzz word of the food world last year- a locavore is someone who eats food grown or produced locally or within a 100-mile radius of their home. But I think being a locavore is more than just a diet- yes, you choose foods that are grown or produced nearby. Yet there's so much more involved: where you shop, how you shop, your connection to the food and the people that produce it....
Maybe it's just because I'm a foodie, but I think being a locavore is fun. Like most things, it's not perfect, and moderation seems to be key in keeping it fun. For example, I tend to follow the 80/20 rule: 80% of my food is local, and the other 20% I try to just make good choices about. Meaning, I still drink coffee and eat sugar, but I try to select products that have been conscientiously produced. The fun part is going to the farmer's market and meeting all of the farmers, or getting to pick my own vegetables from the source, or even my own garden. I like going to pick up fresh eggs, and chatting with the people that have worked hard to get those eggs to me. It makes the whole shopping-to-eating process feel special.
And, the winter season is always the hardest, especially when I crave fresh berries or tomatoes. In the summer though, it's delightfully easy. There are farmer's markets almost everyday, and they abound with good stuff. It's easy to be overwhelmed by the goodies and go home with more than you can reasonably use. (All the better though- an excuse for a big party!).
If you're struggling with ideas for new recipes or menus for your overload of produce, check out our website for great seasonal recipes. Many of our guest chefs have shared their personal recipes with us, and those can be a good starting point for using up veggies. Or, sign up for a summer class and have a chance to talk to the chefs in person. All of our classes offer a good opportunity to interact with the instructors, who always have new ideas. Coming up, we have two farmer's market inspired class, as well as an ongoing "Oregon's Bounty" series that celebrates the best that Oregon has to offer.
Happy shopping and cooking!
-Josie

No comments: