Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Garden Harvest Party

What’s better than the farmers’ market? A farmer’s garden- even if I’m the “farmer.” It never ceases to entertain me when I find that I can make a whole meal (or snack) from what grows in my little yard. I returned from a walk this morning to find that the cherry tomatoes are ripe and ready, the patty pan squash have reached ample size, the zucchini are quite prolific (although that’s not surprising) and the basil is growing tall and bushy. Green beans are skyrocketing. It really is like going to a farm when I go outside. So far, I’ve been able to keep up with the vegetables, even if that does mean sharing with friends. The best way to handle the harvest, while enjoying the company of friends is to have a garden party. Invite your friends over, hand them a basket and some snippers, and get to work. Offer them some lemonade (or wine, whichever fits your mood) when you go inside. Cook up the garden goodies with whatever you find in your fridge. Since I always have lots of cheese and pasta lying around, that’s a pretty likely meal at my house. Joanne Weir was here recently, and she inspired me with her delicious pizzas topped with garlic mayonnaise. If you whip up a batch of pizza dough ahead of time, you can let it rise while you and your friends gather the topics from just outside. The garlic mayonnaise couldn’t be easier to use as a base instead of the usual marinara base. Simply combine a good quality mayonnaise with a pinch of salt and pepper, a drizzle of lemon juice, and several minced garlic cloves.
Sauté the various vegetables in a little oil and garlic. When the pizza dough has risen sufficiently, divide into small balls and give one portion to each guest to roll out. Each guest can top their pizza with the cheese(s) of their choice and some sautéed summer vegetables. You can grill the pizzas if you like, or pop them in a super hot oven for just a few minutes. I’d recommend eating outside. After all, it is a garden harvest party!

-Josie


Ideas for topping combinations-
Fontina with arugula and caramelized shallot
Cherry tomatoes with Italian sausage
Onion, basil and sweet piquant peppers
Chorizo cubes, onion and sliced red chile
Onions, sweet corn, spinach
Olives, anchovies, red peppers, garlic

No comments: