Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My Newest Toy


By “toy”, I mean “necessary kitchen tool.” (I always need another one). Last week, I finally got a kitchen torch. I've been eyeing it- every time I walk through the store, I see it sitting there and I start craving Crème Brulée. The culinary torch is primarily used for creating that perfect crunchy crust that makes Crème Brulée so special. While the juxtaposition of crackly sugar crust and an unctuous vanilla custard is enough for me to rationalize such a purchase, it is nice to know that Crème Brulée isn’t the only use for such a tool. It can also be used for browning meringues, glazing fruit tarts, baked Alaska, and working with sugar. The best part is that the torch is easy to use, doesn’t heat the custard itself, and requires very little planning. (no waiting for the broiler to preheat). It’s so easy and mess free, and Crème Brulée is so delicious. Now I have no excuse not to make it.
-Josie

No comments: