Tuesday, July 10, 2007

One Recipe Leads to Another


After shopping at the farmer’s market on Saturday, and making Benjamin Bettinger’s Preserved Lemons last week, I was inspired to create this simple dish. (This often happens to me. I make one thing, then get an idea for another, and pretty soon.... the refrigerator is full and I have to call some friends to help me eat all of my creations.) Lemon and mint are a classic combination. The recipe highlights the delicate texture of the new potatoes, pungent flavor of the preserved lemon, and bright clean herbs from the farmer’s market. You can make the vinaigrette ahead of time, as well as the preserved lemons, and then toss it all together at the end. Serve it warm, as a side dish to grilled meat, or chilled as a salad for part of a summertime buffet. The important thing is to use baby potatoes that are small and uniform in size. If you can’t find the specified potatoes, you can always make this with larger red potatoes, cut into smaller pieces.

With the expectation of the hot weather this week, the chilled potato salad would be perfect for lunch. Now all I need is a glass of iced tea. If you decide to go for wine instead, a Pinot Gris or Sauvignon Blanc would work nicely with the lemons.

No comments: