Sunday, March 25, 2007

Setting the breakfast table

March 26
All that talk about brunch left me hungry for more. I picked up Joseph Carey’s book “Chef on Fire” to find something to satisfy my need for the ideal morning meal. Since baby spinach and artichokes are classic spring ingredients, I was inspired to make Eggs Sardou. The magnificent combination of eggs, artichokes, baby spinach, and hollandaise seemed like just the thing I required. I was right; the creamy hollandaise smothered the gently poached eggs and that rested on a bed of lightly sautéed spinach and artichokes. The dish was creamy and luxurious, without overwhelming my palate. I set the table with my French press of dark coffee, a crisply toasted English muffin, and my Eggs Sardou. As I ate, I remembered that all that Nathaniel Hawthorne had wisely said, “Life, within doors, has few pleasanter prospects than a neatly arranged and well-provisioned breakfast table." I could not agree more.

-Josie Ross

No comments: