Thursday, March 29, 2007

The $28 Burger

Last weekend, Hurleys opened for brunch. Matt and I couldn't resist the thought of a relaxing morning at one of our favourite restaurants so we eagerly made a reservation for Sunday.

I ordered the Eggs Benedict which was absolutely the best I've ever had. The "pomme rissole" – a heavenly crust of crisp, golden potato ribbons – proved to be the perfect improvement over the commonplace "English muffin". Needless to say, the hollandaise was perfectly executed. But enough of the Eggs Benedict…

The real standout was the $28 burger. The portions are generous so Matt was happy to give me a quarter of his. One mouthful told me that this was no ordinary burger. It is served with a house made mayonnaise flavoured oh-so perfectly with truffle oil. Chef Hurley knows how to lavish a dish with a decadent touch without overdoing it. The Kobe beef was cooked to perfection. Alongside the burger, the Asiago chips – Hurley's trademark – beckoned me. I threw caution to the wind, and indulged. The burger rested on pretzel buns from the same bakery that supplies Chef Hurley's Seattle restaurant, Coupage. I loved that burger! And, apparently, so did many others. In answer to my question, our server shared with me that the burger was their most popular item so far.

The ever-helpful staff answered all my questions with ease; they are clearly involved and knowledgeable about the new items on their menu. My incessant foodie questions didn't faze them at all.

I couldn't help but notice that everyone else in the restaurant seemed equally sated and happy. What a great place for brunch!

Barbara


 

No comments: