Monday, March 26, 2007

Breakfast again

Breakfast again! Yes, the meals of late have been wonderful- creamy hollandaise sauce, delightful French toast, French Press coffee- my week based on food alone has been wonderful. No one could elaborate better on such a thought than the venerable James Beard. “I have had, in my time, memorable meals of scrambled eggs with fresh truffles, scrambled eggs with caviar and other glamorous things, but to me, there are few things as magnificent as scrambled eggs, pure and simple, perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned.” Cooking eggs properly though, is not as easy as it sounds. So often the eggs are overcooked, dry, and flavorless. Omeletes are overflowing, tough and inelegant. Since I was in the breakfast mood, I reached again for the book that has been on my desk for a week. “Chef on Fire” with Joseph Carey is a great resource for understanding basic cooking principles. Recipes are grouped by method, rather than category, so that each technique is explained thoroughly with a variety of applications. In the third technique of five, Cooking with Fat, Chef Carey explains the way to make a perfect omelet. His instructions are detailed, straightforward, and best of all, they work. My attempt to make the Perfect French Omelet, which I topped with a sprinkling of nutty Gruyere, was successful.

-Josie Ross

No comments: