Saturday, March 29, 2008

Daylight Savings = Early Mornings

Even though the time change occurred weeks ago, I’m still feeling the effects. It’s hard enough to get up as it is, but losing an hour makes it worse. However, I have found something to propel me up these days; a delicious breakfast. There’s nothing like the temptation sweet pastries to lure me out of bed. I was inspired by Tim Healea’s Sunday Morning Cream Cheese Brioche. Tim taught a class on pastries several weeks ago and I’m still thinking about them. Brioche is one of my all time favorites; in Tim’s version, it is made even better (is that possible?) with the addition of cream cheese. Brioche is a bit time consuming though, and does take some advance planning.

If you’re craving a slightly less labor intensive morning treat, try Breakfast Popovers with Scrambled Eggs and Chevre. The creamy scrambled eggs are amazing, and worth the effort but the popovers are good enough to eat without them (A pat of butter doesn’t hurt though). Scones make a great breakfast, and are easy to prepare. Be careful when mixing the dough so that you don’t overwork it. I like dried fruit scones, especially tart fruit like cranberries. But you can vary the fruit according to your taste; dried blueberries, cherries, candied ginger, raisins and currants would all work well. These delicate scones were adapted from a Culinary Institute of America’s Baking and Pastry class. I scaled down the recipe significantly (3 dozen scones is a lot at one time), and modified some of the ingredients.

For now, I’m going to enjoy these quick and delicious breads and pastries, but I can’t wait for Tim to share some more of his carbohydrate creations. He’ll be back at In Good Taste on April 24th to teach a hands-on Artisan Breads Class. We’ll learn how to make ciabatta, focaccia and more. You can sign up for one of Tim’s amazing bread classes on our webpage or click on the link above.

-Josie

Cream Scones with Dried Cranberries

No comments: