Friday, September 14, 2007

San Francisco Farmer’s Market

Photo courtesy of Rizzo Studios

We took the most amazing field trip to the San Francisco market yesterday! I loved it, and bought so many delightful and unusual things. It was the perfect escape from the daily grind of cooking from dawn to dusk, studying and homework.


At the market, I was immediately struck by nostalgia: it was so Portland. All the people perusing the stalls and aisles, eyes wide with wonder, baskets full (or close to it), hands reaching for more. Children with sticky fingers, big smiles, and a new appreciation for a fresh peach, parents pleased with the variety and appearance of all the goods. I miss home! As much as I loved being there, I think that the Portland Farmer's Market on Saturdays is more energetic, full of conviviality and community. Portland is such a friendly city, where shopping is a social activity as much as it is a necessity. People go to the market with an agenda- meet friends, find inspiration, have lunch, gather for the evening soiree. You select what appeals to you, plan your menu from there, stop for a bottle of delicious wine at any of the local shops (boy do I miss Oregon Pinot! Napa has good wine, but their Pinots can't compare..... :-) ), and wait for your guests to arrive. I love the connection between food, friends, family and the farm. It's found worldwide, but (in my biased opinion) Portland has some of the best to offer. Keep shopping, eating and cooking.

-Josie

No comments: