Friday, August 31, 2007

Josie's Back!!!

Back at last! It has been an interesting two months, with high points, low points, and somewhere in between. I am about to begin my third session (called “blocks”) at the Culinary Institute of America, in St. Helena, CA. And honestly, I love it. My family and friends are dubious of my new attitude (but relieved); I have to admit that after the first week I was ready to leave. It was a rough introduction, I struggled, managed to find my way, and have fallen in love with Napa and the life of a chef (such that I am).
Rather than revisiting my failures in the kitchen, I want to share one of my successes.
At some point, I stopped being afraid of messing up, and gave it everything I could. I tried to have fun, be a good team player, and forgot about the rest. It worked.
The assignment was Truite aux Almands- a whole trout with almonds, haricot verts, and a brown butter sauce. We had a set time to prepare it, along with many other things. I finished my dish on time, plated it, garnished it, and presented it to the chef for evaluation.
She took a little bite of the flaky white fish bathed in a nutty brown butter sauce. She chewed, swallowed, and nodded. She took a bigger bite of the fish, swirling it in the pool of almonds. She nodded again, picked up a green bean and chewed thoughtfully.
“Delicious. Restaurant quality food. Well done Josie.”
Elation! Finally! After so many failures! But I learned to savor the successes; those are what matters- no one will remember the over salted pot roast, overcooked green beans or sour vinaigrette. They will remember your stunning salmon soufflĂ©, omelet roulade, seven layer torte, or brioche sweet rolls. So don’t be afraid to open your heart and just cook. That’s my kitchen philosophy, and it seems to be working. :-)
-Josie

No comments: