Tuesday, November 18, 2008

National Homemade Bread Day


In case it didn't make it onto your calendar, yesterday was National Homemade Bread Day. I love bread (as far as I know, there isn't a kind I don't like). I rarely make yeast bread anymore; I find that I'm just a bit too scattered to focus on it. However, I do make quick breads several times a week; for dinner, breakfast and snacks. To go with our hearty winter stew on Saturday, I made a spicy cornbread with jalepenos. Last week, I used the last of our pumpkins to make a moist and tasty pumpkin bread; you can use a similar batter to make pumpkin muffins with ginger that are one of the best muffins I've ever had. (Perfect for a snack with a mug of hot tea).

I'm not the only one who thinks bread is just about the best thing ever. I think James Beard said it best: “Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.” And that says it all.
Happy Eating-
Josie

No comments: