Friday, April 11, 2008

Tools For Cooks

Cooking, like most hobbies, has its own set of tools and gadgets. There are the basic necessities, without which one cannot do much at all. There are the convenience items that help speed up processes or simplify tasks. And then there are the novelty tools; the ones you don’t really need, but really, really want. There are also gadgets that are far overrated. They’re better for taking up space and cluttering the counter than anything else. (In my opinion) Now, to be honest, I have more than my fair share of “stuff”, and I have no intention of parting with any of it. However, when it really comes down to it, there are a couple of things I can’t live without. Six months ago, when asked what most important kitchen implement was, I’d have said my hands. Second to my hands, I’d say a good knife. My 8 inch chef’s knife is one of my most valued possessions.
While I was at school, I discovered many tools I loved (like the immersion blender), china cap and mortar and pestles. When working with spices, using a mortar and pestle results in a deeper, more pungent flavor. It can also be used for pesto, chile pastes, or crushing ginger or garlic. I like the complex, fragrant flavors that develop when you don’t use a food processor or food grinder.
Last week, a new mortar and pestle set arrived in the store. They are very attractive, come in several colors, and are available in two sizes. Try one for making an aromatic rub for grilled pork, like the Garlic Rosemary Rub.
-Josie

Garlic Rosemary Rub

10 cloves garlic
2.5 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Combine all ingredients except the lemon juice in a mortar. Pound the garlic until it is a paste, then work on incorporating the other ingredients. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
Use as a marinade for pork or lamb, or even vegetables that are to be grilled.

No comments: